Sunday, September 27, 2009

Nairobi, Kenya

9-28-09 We landed in Nairobi yesterday. It is amazing to me how less than two miles from the largest slum in East Africa you can find a mall, complete with food court and movie theater.

Today we went to visit the school and medical clinic that African Leadership built. The clinic had one room with one bed and boxes and boxes of medicine under the bed, between the cabinets, and everywhere. There was one nurse and a receptionist. The nurse, Winnie, was so happy just to have this little room so she can help the children of Kibera when they are sick. She told us they get about 15-30 children a day. Then we visited the school and the church that was burned out last year during the riots. All of these African Leadership projects are in or near the Kibera slum. And if you were to think about what a slum looked like, this was worse. There were mud-huts, no green grass to be seen, people carrying water jugs, piles of dirt and trash, cardboard walls and thin plastic roofs, everything. Then came the school. I saw the younger classes. In one classroom fit 2 to 6 year olds. The children were learning how to add and do math. I talked with the teacher and found out that most of the children cannot afford lunch for the day. They would get a light breakfast and dinner, and no lunch. African Leadership and Ellie's Run provided food, clothing and the building for these children. There was one small 2 year old who was wearing all the clothes he had to school. He had one pair of pants, two shirts, and a sweater. The teacher took it off of him because it was too hot, and throughout the whole day he was watching it, for fear someone would talk it.

I have learned so much on this trip. I have learned that even when it seems your life has no future at all, you can still have a better relationship with God than some people who have grown up in the American church. I have learned to appreciate things more like drinkable tap water, paved roads, even school. These children are so happy to be in these box sized classrooms getting an education, while many children in America hate being in school and would do whatever they can to get out of it.

I think, and people may disagree, that this Africa is better off in some ways than America. Why? This Africa, the one I saw, is full of joy, happiness, and God. These people are grateful for what they have and appreciate whatever food they get... when American kids want more and more, like T.V. or a pool or an iPod or something. Here I am playing with my iTouch while these children, sitting right next to me, are entertaining themselves by singing praises to the Lord. Even though America is said to be one of the richest countries in the world, I strongly disagree. This Africa, the one that African Leadership showed me, may be poor in money, but they are rich in spirit and love for God. -
Carly

P.s. - Thank all of you for the nice comments. I wish I could respond to all of them! I miss everyone and hope to see you guys soon.
Thank you Larry & Mary Warren for the way they are helping this Africa.



7 comments:

The Green Eyed Girl said...

This is so amazing that you are able to do this Carly.

Presley said...

Carly,
I miss you so much! I wish I could see you! I am so happy when I read what you have written! You are a brave girl with a BIG heart! I miss you Carly!! I will read more of what you post and make sure to comment! We all miss you at CPA!! We love you!
Presley Russell

Anonymous said...

Carly,

I am so glad that you are getting this opportunity to see what it really means to be grateful and to realize that true joy does not come from anything external at all. I love this one quote from Emerson that says something like..."What matter is not what is behind you and not what is ahead of you, but what is inside you." I love you and miss talking to you SO MUCH!! Give hugs to the Warren's for us! mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly,

It's Jack. I am so glad you are doing all this work in Africa. You are a great person and I wish I was there with you. You're the best sister I could ever have wished for (no offense Hannah, she's great too!). I love you so much and you should know you are dong a great thing. Bye, Jack

Anna Kate said...

Hey Carly...
This is really interesting. I like how you're doing this. Wish I could... I've never been out of USA. :) Miss you

Unknown said...

hey friend! love reading your blog and staying updated. i have your blog on my bookmarks so when i do my "blog checks" (which right now is about every 30 minutes...gotta keep in touch with the africa friends/family!) yours is right there! next time you come to nishville we are gonna get together and have an africa reunion...i'm dying to hear stories!!! i know youre having the experience of a lifetime because i got to experience the true beauty of africa in march...can't wait to see you! love you!

grace

Julie Daubenspeck said...

Hi Carly,

Your recent pictures and thoughts from Nairobi truly touch my heart. Nairobi appears to be such a sharp contrast to Uganda. Just when you think you have seen hardships, you see Kibera. I am so glad that you are now getting to glimpse some of the work your dad did with African Leadership and can understand just WHY he did it. I pray for your heart often as you take all of this in. I know it is a lot. Praying that you and your dad can stand strong on this journey and bring home many insights to share with all of us!

Love you tons!

Miss Julie