Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ellies Run/ African Leadership's work

Our second day in Nairobi. We have seen so much in only a short time. Today we saw some of the work that Ellies Run and African Leadership does. First, we went to the clinic that African Leadership helped build. It was a little bigger then the one we went to yesterday. The nurse showed us around it. They had many mothers with their babies there, and older girls with young children... one of the moms looked younger than me. They said that they get about 100 people a week.


After that we went to their work in Haruma slum and another clinic where they see 100 people a day. We were greated by some very poor children. They took our hands and led us to the high school, with 12 teachers, 16o students, and the school was made out of large metal shipping containers for only$40,000 dollars! First we went into the headmaster's office. It was smaller then the size of a normal bathroom, and it was stuffed with files and work. The man was very friendly, and he told us all about the school. Most of these children would never even get an education if not for Ellie's Run and African Leadership.

Walking around the classrooms, I realized just how much God wants to show his love to these people. These kids uniforms are tattered and torn, their desks are dirty and old, but they love the school and the opportunity it gives them. It's just like what I talked about before- they come from a very difficult background, so they are greatful for whatever they have. They know that God loves them even though they started off in a very poor home. Every thing they get is from the grace of God. One freshman boy sang a song for us about growing up in poverty, and how God has shown his love to him through being able to get food and an education.

As we made are way over to the Seniors, I listened to my dad and Mr. Warren speak to these children. I wish I could have taped it, it was...inspiring. We talked to them, told them who we are and where we are from, but then a boy asked if he could say something. He stood up, and talked about how grateful he was for being in this school and for being able to get an education so one day he can follow his dream to become a lawyer. He said that one day he would come back to the slums that he would never forget. His clothes were completely tattered, but he spoke so well, I was just in awe. Listening to him, explained to me where the money went that I raised when I ran in Ellie's Run. I just ran a few miles, now this boy could follow his dreams and maybe one day make a big difference in the Huruma slum.


I pray that all of these kids will follow their dreams and be whoever God wants them to be.

Carly

Ps. - I found a couple more photos of Moses. Please continue to pray for him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carly,

I am so proud of you and all you have learned. Keep up the good work!

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

You are a great sister and I am so glad you are doing this! Love, Hannah

Julie Daubenspeck said...

Hi Carly,

Ooooooooooh my gosh! Great shots all around but little Moses tops them all. I think those shots touch my heart the most because that little guy stole yours. So tickled to see the man who won your heart! :-) I truly love all of those precious faces that you highlight in your blog. I am thankful that God has given you the gift of traveling to Africa and meeting His amazing children there.

Love always,

Miss Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet daughter. I am loving seeing your smiling face while you are loving on all those kids!! We are praying for Moses and for helping us see clearly the ways in which we can continue to serve in Africa. I miss talking to you so much...it's starting to feel like SO long and I can't wait to give you the biggest hug EVER!!

Love you more! mom

Gwen Oatsvall said...

i totally forgot to come back and see what else you posted ... love ya girl ... you need to invite me to be your friend on FB ...

tell you mom and dad HELLO ...